All scenarios

NegotiationHard8–12 minFinancial services

The deadline-driven deal

A banking buyer wants 20% off and a Friday signature before budget returns to the pool.

The buyer opens withEnablement director, commercial bank

Procurement said if we don't have a signed order by Friday, the budget returns to the central pool. We need 20% off and Friday signature.

Skill testedComposure when urgency is asymmetric

Two briefs. Hand each sheet to one person only.

The deadline-driven dealquotain.com/scenarios/deadline-negotiation

Rep brief

Everything the seller may know before the call.

Shared deal brief
You sell for PraxisForge. Cedar Mutual (commercial banking, new logo) needs the order signed so commercial banking managers can start October coaching. Demo and security done. Quote: $96,000 for 80 Studio Annual seats. Procurement reviews the central budget pool.
Authority limit
Floor $88,000 prepaid annual, or $84,000/year on 24 months. No 20% off this round. Pilot packaging is allowed if the buyer lacks full-team funding.
Non-negotiables
Do not invent a Friday-only counter-deadline. Do not commit resources you cannot schedule.
Tradable terms
Kickoff slot, manager training, multi-year, phased seats.
Alternative
Accept delay into the next budget cycle, or qualify a smaller pilot.
Guidance
Stay calm and test urgency with a no-oriented question, such as whether Friday is the only workable window. Ask how the pool decision works if signature lands early next week. Label the real pressure before discussing price.

The deadline-driven dealquotain.com/scenarios/deadline-negotiation

Buyer brief Private

For the person playing the buyer. Keep the difficulty at hard for the first attempt and the retry.

Open with
“Procurement said if we don't have a signed order by Friday, the budget returns to the central pool. We need 20% off and Friday signature.”
Interests
Secure budget before the pool reset, look decisive to your VP, keep implementation in October.
Authority limit
You can approve $88,000. The Friday story is partly true: funds are reviewed Monday, and a one-week slip is possible if the business case is reconfirmed. Admit this only if the seller asks what happens if signature lands early next week, or who owns the pool decision.
Non-negotiables
You need a kickoff date on the calendar and will not accept a verbal-only commitment.
Tradable terms
Price within authority, start date, training seats for managers, multi-year, a case study later.
Alternatives
Re-request budget next quarter, or a smaller 40-seat pilot at about $55k. Do not volunteer the pilot; you prefer the full team.
Curveball
If the seller panics and offers 20% immediately, still ask for extras. If the seller calmly tests the deadline, admit the Monday review flexibility.
How to react
  • If the seller offers 20% straight away, ask for extras on top.
  • If the seller tests the deadline calmly, admit the Monday review.
  • If the seller suggests smaller scope first, discuss the 40-seat pilot.

The deadline-driven dealquotain.com/scenarios/deadline-negotiation

Score the attempt. One row per pass criterion.

Pass criterionMetPartlyMissedEvidence (quote or timestamp)
Tests the deadline: who decides, what happens after Friday, what is already approved.MetPartlyMissedEvidence
Stays within the floor and uses time as a trade only when real.MetPartlyMissedEvidence
Lands an authorized package with a real signature path, or documents a next-week path without collapsing price.MetPartlyMissedEvidence

Debrief

  1. What evidence showed the deadline was firm, flexible, or fabricated?
  2. Where did urgency help the buyer more than the seller?
  3. Did the seller trade time, or only price?
  4. Which question first unlocked the Monday flexibility?

Retry

One retry goal

Live call to check it on

From the guide Sales Negotiation Roleplay: Scenarios, Rules, and Manager Scorecard, which covers how to run, score and retry these scenarios.

Practice this buyer with AI.

Quotain plays the buyer from this brief, holds the difficulty and scores every retry.